Posted by First Czech Garden Club on January 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Bill Pucket gave a two part presentation called Behind the Big Picture. He is quite the accomplished photographer and took pictures of things you don't normally look for in gardens.
Some of the items he has picture of are
- The different parts of a flower
- Nectary (partthat attracts the pollinator)
- Anthem (the Male portion, the pollen)
- Ovary (The female portion, where the seeds are)
- Sepal (the outer part that protects the petals, or Nectary, until the plant blooms)
Some interesting facts he presented
- Petals on plants are usually found in Fibinacci Number counts
- 97% of the pollination is done by other than Bees
- Most of the insects you see that look like Wasps are not Wasps and cannot sting you
- Most of the Wasps and Hornets won';t even sting you
- Plants with multiple flowers do not bloom all at once in order to get the most ovaries pollinated
All of these facts were from his First presentation in January, 2013. I can't wait until his February show!